Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Warm Winter Cable Hat

I have been way into crochet cable lately. I really wanted to make something for myself and loved the scarf that I made for Jeff but I have a lot of scarves. I found this great cable hat pattern on Ravelry and wanted to make it instantly . . . so I did.


Ingredients:
Hooks: 5.0 mm (H) for brim and 6.0 mm (J) for crown
Yarn: 3 Balls of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran

The pattern was not clear on how many chains to make for the ring, so I ended up making the ring too big. That gave me a great opportunity to practice making another pom-pom to cover the hole in the top. I think it turned out better than the one I made for the Jayne Cobb Hat but it may be a bit small for the hat. The cables are made using front post double crochet and by using back post double crochets for the background. The hat is pretty loose fitting and I would go down a hook size if making it for someone with a small head. The pattern also used a lot more yarn than I thought it would and I had to go back and pick up a 3rd ball.

No comments: